November 20, 2011

buffet time!

For the buffet we produced many appetizers and cold platters. I took the not-as-fun task of slicing meat and managed to have a lot of fun arranging the meat platter.

meat platter

We had mortadella, roast beef, pastrami, turkey, smoked ham, chicken galantine and pâté.

fruit platter

From there I moved on to building fruit platters: cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon and pineapple, with strawberries and kiwis and grapes for garnish.

kiwi flower

I tried reproducing the honeydew flower technique on a kiwi. Had limited success (a couple of petals were broken).

honeydew flower #1

Then I attempted it on an actual honeydew. The hardest part was actually getting the melon to open - apparently I didn't cut deeply enough and had to retrace a few times. It looks a little rough around the edges, but it is my first and only attempt so far!

another fruit platter

I think at one point when I was arranging this platter, Chef said something about a "future garde manger chef in action". Maybe, if I don't end up in pastry first!

1 comment: